Today is my 40th birthday, and in honor of such a “big-deal-birthday”, I have decided to share some of my hard-won knowledge and favorite sayings.
- Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way! First saw this on a bumper sticker in my 20’s and it has been like a mantra ever since.
- If what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger is true, I should be able to bench press a Buick by now! I can bench press one in my mind and since that’s where I got stronger, I guess that’s good enough for me.
- Always look before you leap. True in most situations but occasionally life requires a leap of faith. Take it, even if you think you’re not ready. Growing up while you grow older will leave you with plenty of regrets. Don’t create more.
- Drama should be a four letter word. Creating drama only makes life more difficult.
- Not my circus, not my monkeys. See #4 if you’re confused. Don’t buy in to other people’s drama either.
- Life isn’t about weathering the storm, it’s about learning to dance in the rain. This thought has gotten me through dark times.
- Just when you’re ready to give up and give in, hold the image of a child you love in your mind, then try to give up. Your child, grandchild, a special niece or nephew…whatever works. When the child you imagine is you, you’re doing it right.
- There comes a time in every woman’s life when she must face the reality of who she has become. However you feel about facing your shadow-self speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.
- Don’t judge a book by its cover. You could be selling someone short and missing a unique experience.
- Everyone deserves a second chance, but not everyone deserves a 3rd.
- When you find your soulmate(s) you’ll do anything necessary to keep them, even if it hurts you to do it.
- Life is about the journey, not the destination.
- The goal of life is not to arrive at the grave in a well-preserved body. It is to skid in sideways screaming, “That was one hell of a ride!”
Seeing as how 13 is my lucky number and it is my birthday, I’ll leave you with my top 13.
I hope your day is blessed!